4th Case of Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba in Kerala

4th Case of Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba in Kerala

Image Source: PTI

Kozhikode, Kerala: Another case of amoebic meningoencephalitis, a rare and deadly brain infection caused by an amoeba in contaminated water, has been reported in Kerala. A 14-year-old boy from Payyoli in North Kerala is currently being treated for the infection at a private hospital.

This marks the fourth case since May, all involving children. Sadly, three of the infected children have died.

In the latest case, the boy was admitted to the hospital on July 1. A doctor treating him reported that his condition is improving thanks to the prompt identification of the infection and immediate treatment with medicines, including some from abroad.

Earlier this week, another 14-year-old boy from Kozhikode succumbed to the infection. Prior to that, a 5-year-old girl from Malappuram and a 13-year-old girl from Kannur died on May 21 and June 25, respectively.

To prevent further infections, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan held a meeting on Friday. It was suggested that people avoid bathing in unclean water bodies and ensure proper chlorination of swimming pools. Children, who are most affected by this disease, should be especially cautious when entering water bodies. Using swimming nose clips was also recommended to prevent infection.

Experts explained that the infection occurs when the amoeba enters the body through the nose from contaminated water.

Previously, cases of this disease were reported in coastal Alappuzha district in 2023 and 2017.


ALSO READ | Samantha Responds: Clarifies Hydrogen Peroxide Nebulisation Controversy